[RFC, PATCH, RESEND] fs: push rcu_barrier() from deactivate_locked_super() to filesystems

Al Viro viro at ZenIV.linux.org.uk
Fri Jun 8 18:23:37 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 01:14:46AM +0300, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> > The implementation would be less unpleasant if we could do the
> > rcu_barrier() in kmem_cache_destroy().  I can't see a way of doing that
> > without adding a dedicated slab flag, which would require editing all
> > the filesystems anyway.
>
> I think rcu_barrier() for all kmem_cache_destroy() would be too expensive.

You've got to be kidding.  Please, show us the codepath that would be hot
enough to make that too expensive and would contain kmem_cache_destroy().
Note that module unload is *not* a hot path - not on any even remotely sane
use.