ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt

Tim Sander tim01 at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Jan 16 09:59:43 EST 2012

Hi Artem
Am Montag, 16. Januar 2012 schrieb Artem Bityutskiy:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 13:59 +0100, Tim Sander wrote:

> > > I've pushed them to the ubifs-v3.0 back-port tree as well. But I think
> > > they are useless - sorry, I was confused.
> >
> > Ok i was wondering that logging was causing this cind of behavoir...
> >
> > > Also, if you say this happens when you run ubiformat - this is
> > > something about your flash driver. Do you use NOR or NAND? Can you
> > > detect which interrupt takes too much time? If the theory is that this
> > > is your flash driver interrupt - can you verify it by injecting some
> > > instrumentation to the interrupt handler?
> >
> > This is a arm i.mx35 (pcm43) platform using the nor and nand driver. The
> > mxc_nand driver is loaded later which seems to be around the same time
> > "sched: RT throttling activated" comes up and the ubi on the nand gets
> > attached. I will see what if i can dig s.t. up with the instrumentation
> > and will report back.
>
> My theory is that this is related to the NOR driver then. UBI does not
> use interrups. UBIFS uses hrtimer so it does have some code which may
> run in interrupt context, but all it does - it wakes up a thread and
> finishes.
The pcm-043 platform uses the "physmap-flash" nor driver. I have not found
any related interrupt handler? So probably the problem is more sublte. For
example that the ubi background daemon is working and the timings are different
after a firmware update which triggers this interrupt. Initially i thought this
is closely related to the loading of the mxc_nand driver, attaching the ubi
and mounting the ubifs filesystem since this message is output at roughly the
same time. But it is only the nor flash which has been updated with ubiformat
and not the nand flash when this error occurs.

So is there some work to be done, after mounting a ubiformat updated image?

Best regards
Tim