ubi_eba_init_scan: cannot reserve enough PEBs for bad PEB handling

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 07:31:32 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 13:28 +0100, Alexandre Gambier wrote:
> On 01/16/2012 01:24 PM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 09:47 +0100, Alexandre Gambier wrote:
> >> For example, for my 128MiB partition I specified 120MiB which is 7%
> >> smaller than the total size.
> > You should be able to find the UBI overhead formulas on the MTD web
> > site. Try to specify less than that and see. You should leave enough
> > PEBs reserved for bad eraseblocks handling - it is 1% by default.
> >
> >> What size would you specify for a 128MiB partition ?
> >> thanks for your help.
> > I do not have time to calculate and I do not remember. But the easiest
> > is to use something small enough and put the auto-resize flag - it will
> > then make it to be the maximum size. E.g., use 100MiB, boot and see to
> > how much it resized.
>
> I already use the auto-resize flag...I will try to specify a smaller
> size and see if it fixes this warning.

You use it but it has no effect because the volumes are already very
large and there is no room to enlarge them further. When you make your
initial sizes small, then UBI will reserve 1% for bad blocks and the use
the rest for the auto-resize volume. And it will print a message which
you will see in your dmesg: something like "resizing from a to b".

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy