ubifs mount fails due to corrupt empty space

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 06:14:47 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 21:24 -0500, Gabriel Matni wrote:
> ) Is the usage of this patch safe?

No, it is wrong and unsafe.

> 4) Any suggestions?

Did you check if your driver protects empty space? If no, try to make it
so. The other way is to teach UBI/UBIFS allow for bit-flips in empty
space.

> Kernel log when attempting to mount the file system (2 UBI volumes on
> mtd12 each having a ubifs):
>
> <5>[   68.901714] UBI: attaching mtd12 to ubi12

mtd12? Often when people have so many MTD devices it is an indication of
bad design. Why you have so many?

Also, if you can share the mtd12 image with me - I can take a closer
look, but it does not look like I will suggest anything new.

Please, check your driver to start with and let us know if it protects
the empty space.

Did you validate your driver with mtd tests, BTW?
(http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/general.html#L_mtd_tests)

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy