ubifs panic with 2.6.39 stable - followup

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:42:43 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 06:39 -0500, Brad Parker wrote:
> [sorry for the duplicate post; I tried to post a followup with just
>   the url to the pastebin log but for some reason  it got stuck
>   waiting for the moderator]
>
> Running and older 2.6.31 kernel with UBIFS I see a panic which appears
> to be during recovery of a bad block. The root fs (which is UBIFS)
> won't mount and the kernel panics.
>
> I upgraded the kernel 2.6.39-stable, hoping that would fix the problem,
> as I noticed a lot of recovery fixes had gone in.  It still panics;
> it appears the recovery fails.
>
> I rebooted with "ignore_loglevel" and the output is here:
>
>      http://pastebin.com/ETJjP4uw
>
> The board is essentially an Olimex SAM9-L9260, with Samsung NAND.
>
> I'm curious if this looks familiar and if it might be fixed post 2.5.39
>
> thanks for any insight.

Would you please also enable scanning, mount, and recovery debugging
messages and provide the log?

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html#L_how_debug

But in newer kernels this has been turned into dynamic debug, see
Documentation/dynamic-debug-howto.txt

(Gosh, I have to update the web site!)

In older kernels you can do this via the configuration menu, in newer
kernel this has been turned into Documentation/dynamic-debug-howto.txt

To use them at boot time, use ddebug_query=...

You need to use 3 format string to show "UBIFS DBG mnt" and the like.

I think, but did not verify, you need to add kernel boot 3 parameters:

ddebug_query="format UBIFS DBG rcvry" ddebug_query="format UBIFS DBG
mnt" ddebug_query="format UBIFS DBG scan"

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy