Problems with mtd_oobtest

Mike Dunn mikedunn at newsguy.com
Wed Feb 29 11:06:51 EST 2012

On 02/27/2012 11:02 PM, Matej Kupljen wrote:

> I can run mtd_speedtest, mtd_stresstest, mtd_readtest, mtd_pagetest without the
> problems, but when I start the mtd_oobtest it fails, basically on every page!

Your flash device probably does not support writing oob-only.  This is true of
some NAND devices.  I wouldn't worry about this test.  This failure is probably
unrelated to your ubifs problems.

> I can use JFFS2 on this device, and for some time even UBIFS, but then
> it just fails.

What is the nature of the ubifs failure?  The kernel log should tell you.  It
may be the same problem I experience, where over time too many erase bocks are
marked as bad.  This is due to the unforgiving nature of ubi wrt corrected
bitflips, and tends to be a problem on NAND flash devices with high bit errors,
for which the device compensates with strong ecc.  I'm working on some patches
that should fix this.

Mike