Updating UBIFS rootfilesystem

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Feb 24 04:47:44 EST 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Matthias Fuchs wrote:

> On 02/13/2012 02:57 PM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 13:44 +0100, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> is there an elegant way to update an UBIFS rootfilesystem?
>>>
>>> Let's say I have enough flash space for my actual rootfilesystem
>>> (rootfs1) and a new version (rootfs2). So while running from rootfs1
>>> I updated rootfs2 volume with a new rootfilesystem.
>>
>> I you cannot update a mounted fs - you have to unmount it first. If you
>> are able to do this, you should be able to ubirename.
> So I was thinking that a ubirename is not really an update and expected the rename
> op to work even on a mounted fs.

I agree, it would be very nice to be able to rename a mounted file system,
although I don't know if there is something internal to UBI which would
conflict with that. For instance, when doing 'df', it reports the UBI
volume name (such as "ubi0:rootfs") and I don't know if it's possible to
change the corresponding string once the file system has been mounted.

/Ricard