Userspace write to UBI partitions

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Tue Feb 7 10:20:58 EST 2012

Is it possible to do a userspace write to a UBI volume as if it were plain
flash memory, i.e. should I be able to do "cat somefile > /dev/ubi0_0" ? I
get a 'Write Error: Operation not permitted' when I do this (Linux 2.6.35)
but I'm pretty sure that I've used UBI volumes that way in the past, may
have been with older kernels then.

Since there are ioctls for volume update and atomic logical ereasblock
change, it would seem natural that writing to UBI volumes must be preceded
by these ioctls, still I can't seem to see anywhere that doing a plain
write would not be allowed, and as I say I'm pretty sure I've done so in
the past.

/Ricard