Secure deletion for UBIFS

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 03:32:21 EST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 12:31 +0100, Joel Reardon wrote:
> This patch provides efficient secure deletion for UBIFS. In short, every
> data node is stored encrypted on the flash memory, each with a different
> key. Encryption/decryption are handled in the compression/decompression

Hi Joel,

I think this idea is clever. Sorry for delays, I am realy swamped and
cannot do a detailed review. But let me provide a minimum feed back so
far to have this moving. I am looking forward to see your work upstream
and I hope you'll be persistent enough to make sure this happens. This
partially depends on me, but mostly on you, because I do not have time
to help you much :-)

Could you please stare with the following.

1. Inline the patch instead of attaching it. This way people will be
able to answer and cite the relevant bits.

2. Provide a bit more detailed design explanation.

3. CC LKML: linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org

5. Provide information how you tested the patch

I also noticed that you changed on-flash data structures (struct
ubifs_branch) and make incompatible changes. This is a serious change
and at very least needs introduction of new format. UBIFS has only one
on-flash format, but it has some provisioned mechanisms for supporting
new formats. Also, this needs some testing: check that old formats
refuse mounting new ones, check that new UBIFS supports both formats,
etc.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy