UBI wl_tree_add problems after PEB scrubbed

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 05:48:49 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 09:05 -0600, Zach Sadecki wrote:
> Every time I see UBI scrub a PEB with fixable bit-flips (on my custom
> Freescale i.MX28 board) the background thread has problems shortly
> thereafter.  I'm not exactly sure where to start debugging this and I'm
> hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.  Below are
> kernel messages showing the problem from 2 different runs (in which both
> ended up with a hung CPU).  This is using kernel 3.7-rc7.
>
> Also worth noting is that I had to modify the gpmi-nand driver to
> actually report max_bitflips back to the MTD layer to even get to this
> point (before that everything would just run along happily until it hit
> an uncorrectable ECC error).  I will submit a patch for this once
> everything seems OK...

Ack, reproducible on nandsim with

sudo sh -c 'echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/ubi/ubi0/tst_emulate_bitflips'

I did not confirm this by bisecting, but it seems it is fastmap that
broke it.

And looking at fastmap changes, I immediately see some thing completely
bogus, not related to this:

/**
 * __wl_get_peb - get a physical eraseblock.
 * @ubi: UBI device description object
 *
 * This function returns a physical eraseblock in case of success and a
 * negative error code in case of failure. Might sleep.
 */
static int __wl_get_peb(struct ubi_device *ubi)

Might sleep? Well, yes, because it calls

ubi_self_check_all_ff()

But then why is this:

       spin_lock(&ubi->wl_lock);
       peb = __wl_get_peb(ubi);
       spin_unlock(&ubi->wl_lock);

Bogus.

Richard, could you please re-test fastmap with all debugging enabled?
I see at least one bug already.

Namely these ones: chk_gen  chk_io  tst_disable_bgt

Also, it seems UBI is completely broken ATM - it craps out immediately
on the first bit-flip. Let me revert fastmap and check if it is fastmap.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy