ARM: LPC32XX SLC ECC Handling

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 04:33:28 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 14:54 +0200, Roland Stigge wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 24/08/12 13:38, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> >> the LPC32XX SLC controller has a ECC feature that covers only the
> >> main data area, but not the OOB data.  Is it the responsibility
> >> of the user to protect its OOB data via an ECC?  The LPC32XX MLC
> >> controller on the other hand covers the complete OOB data with
> >> its ECC.  How can a user determine if it has to protect its OOB
> >> data?
> >
> > I guess it is good idea to CC the author of the drivers.
>
> Thanks for CC'ing, would have missed it.
>
> Yes, it's exactly as Sebastian described - only the MLC controller
> covers OOB in ECC.
>
> At this point, I need to give back the question to the MTD
> maintainers: Is there an API how we can help users at this point? I
> would be happy to implement it.

Well, I guess from the user's POW the driver either protects OOB data
with ECC or not. There is no interface for detecting this in MTD, but I
do not see why someone could not create it.

Am I right that we are talking about the situation when OOB and data
areas are covered by different ECCs, or this is about user writing data
+oob at one go, and everything is covered by the same ECC?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy