Current mainline (3.6-rc3) UBIFS errors

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Thu Aug 23 04:39:34 EDT 2012

Hi Artem,

Thanks a lot for reacting so quickly!

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:10:08 +0300
Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 09:50 +0200, David Jander wrote:
> > [    4.069409] UBI warning: ubi_io_read: error -74 (ECC error) while
> > reading 160 bytes from PEB 5616:87112, read only 160 bytes
>
> Hi, looks like a problem with your driver. For some reasons it returns
> ECC errors when reading small amount of data (160 bytes). Did you run
> mtd tests - to they pass?

I thought so at first, but this error appeared on two different hardware
platforms at the same time, when upgrading to latest mainline. I am coming
from kernel 3.1, which worked fine on the MPC5121e. The ARM platform also
worked without problems on a previous version (I think it was 3.4-something,
not so sure right now). The only common piece of hardware/driver is the actual
NAND flash chip on both boards (Samsung K9K8G08... SLC 8Gbit NAND), so I
thought this had to be a (temporary) issue in current mainline code.

> So UBI just tells that it cannot read, the root-cause is in the driver.

Two different drivers... same issue!?

> Did this work in loder kernels? If yes, you can try to bisect.

I am trying to bisect right now. Will report back when I find something. I
just wanted to know if this happened to be a known issue.

Can you tell if I am supposed to be able to mount a UBIFS device formatted
with 3.1 on latest mainline without trouble? Is there a chance OOB layout may
have changed, or something similar? I tried reformatting with 3.6-rc2 just in
case, but the problem remained.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Best regards,

--