UBIFS corruption after software upgrade

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 09:18:49 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 08:40 -0400, Russell Zuck wrote:
> On 7/24/2012 5:02 PM, Russell Zuck wrote:
> > I have not yet attempted to reproduce this issue using nandsim nor do I
> > have a simple reproducer for the problem yet.  Please provide some ideas
> > about how to simulate the reboot using nandsim as I think the reboot
> > portion of this scenario will be critical to reproducing the issue.
>
> Can anyone direct me to some information that might help me simulate a
> reboot using nandsim to attempt to reproduce my UBIFS corruption issue?
>
> Additionally, I would really appreciate any suggestions, tips, tricks,
> criticisms of the upgrade process I outlined previously, or "Have you
> considered this" type questions.  I've read everything I could find that
> even remotely pertains to my scenario but nothing is clicking for me
> yet.  I'm desperately trying to resolve my issue.  Any guidance would be
> welcome.

Do you have a kernel which worked for you? One strategy would be to
bisect or look at the differences.

WRT power-cut testing. Could you try your kernel + nandsim. Just do the
following:

$ modprobe nandsim first_id_byte=0x20 second_id_byte=0xac third_id_byte=0x00 fourth_id_byte=0x15
$ modprobe ubi mtd=0
$ ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 --lebs 4064 -N test_fs
$ mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 /mnt/ubifs

You should end up with something close to your system.

Please, then try to do:

$ echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/ubifs/tst_recovery
$ cd $HOME/git/mtd-utils/tests/fs-tests/integrity
$ ./integck -p /mnt/ubifs

This should start recovery testing. Does it work?

The "integck" test is part of the mtd-utils repository.

But from your description it looks like something related to your
system, not UBIFS.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy