mtd-util, flash_erase: MEMGETOOBSEL on davinci based board fail

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 07:27:49 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 09:58 +0200, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> Now the questions:
>
> a) is this fix Ok? (Has it i chance to go in mainline?)

No, it breaks ABI.

> b) in include/mtd/mtd-abi.h I found this comment:
>
> /*
>  * Obsolete legacy interface. Keep it in order not to break userspace
>  * interfaces
>  */
> struct nand_oobinfo {
>
> so this Interface should not be used ... which Interface should be
> used instead?

You are lucky because Brian already took care of this. You need to use
his MEMWRITE ioctl. Try my l2 tree (or take patches from that tree) plus
the "brian" branch of the mtd-utils tree. The idea is that the new ioctl
should get to mainline soon, and we'll merge the brian branch into the
master branch in mtd-utils.

My tree: http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/l2-mtd-2.6.git
(you can use it or pick patches from there)
MTD utils tree: http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/mtd-utils.git
(use the "brian" branch)

Of course we are interested to know if it worked for you. Brian is in
CC.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy