jffs2 help

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Wed May 4 03:15:39 EDT 2011

On Tue, 3 May 2011, angelo wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i have a specific issue that seems realted to jffs2,
> i tried to subscribe to jffs2-dev list but seems no more existing.
>
> Just a suggestion, is there some jffs2 list/support still alive from
> Axis ?

Axis pioneered the development of the original JFFS, but did not drive the
development of JFFS2, and so there is no active support from Axis for
either file system, and hasn't been for many years.

The right place to ask for JFFS2 help is on the linux-mtd mailing list,
i.e. right here.

> Is jffs2 the right way to go to store some non volatile data to a nor
> flash or is it better i move directly to UBIFS ?

I leave that one up to others, but basically I think the take is this:

ubifs resides on top of UBI, which works with both NOR and NAND flashes,
but several of the features that UBI brings (transparent bad block
management and bit scrubbing) are primarily intended to cover up the
deficiencies of NAND flash. On the other hand, the whole logical volume
concept which is also a feature of UBI is useful for any type of flash.

ubifs seems to mount faster, I think because it doesn't scan the whole
flash at mount time like JFFS2 does, although I seem to recall there's an
option to store summary info on the flash rather than built it at mount
time. Not to sure exactly the various permutations here though.

In more general terms, jffs2 is pretty stable, on the other hand, there's
not much maintentence going on either; the main work goes into UBI and
ubifs, so the that's where the real development is.

/Ricard