[NAND] Are partitions persistent?

Gilles gilles.ganault at free.fr
Thu Jun 16 07:23:52 EDT 2011

Hello

	I was wondering: Are partitions on NAND persistent, or is it up to
the developer to make sure the images used to populate the different
partitions are small enough to fit the partitions set in the NAND
driver?

For instance, this found through Google:
=============
static struct mtd_partition bfin_spi_flash_partitions[ ] = {
    {
        .name = "bootloader(spi)",
        .size = 0x00040000,
        .offset = 0,
        .mask_flags = MTD_CAP_ROM
    }, {
        .name = "linux kernel(spi)",
        .size = 0x180000,
        .offset = MTDPART_OFS_APPEND,
};

Does it mean that, for instance, when using Uboot's nandwrite to
update the bootloader above, it's up to me to make sure that the image
is smaller than 0x40000 and Uboot will happily keep going and erase
part of the linux kernel, or is the MTDPART_OFS_APPEND option
precisely made to avoid this and trigger an error?

Thank you.