nandwrite with raw oob data

Peter Wippich pewi at gw-instruments.de
Sun Jun 5 12:40:03 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I run into the same problem as outlined here before:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2011-March/034516.html

Going a little bit deeper it looks to me that writing any nand flash data
with raw (precomputed ECC) OOB data is not possible at all with a recent
Kernel and nandwrite version.

What happens here is that nandwrite will set MTD_MODE_RAW when noecc is
specified. Doing so will force the kernel driver to write OOB data only on
a normal write. Obviously this will fail when someone is trying to write
normal data to flash in MODE_RAW.

Question: is this realy the intended behaviour ???

It may be easy to fix this on kernel level, but may be there is some good
reason I don't know to do it as it is. And I don't want to break things.

Any comments welcome.

Thank you and Cheers,

Peter