[BUG] mtdinfo -a: Tries to open NULL pointer for NOR with Eraseblock Regions

Brian Foster brian.foster at maxim-ic.com
Tue Jul 26 03:21:44 EDT 2011

On Monday 25 July 2011 19:10:46 Brian Norris wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Brian Foster <brian.foster at maxim-ic.com> wrote:
>[...]
> This is exactly the right place! Sorry it was difficult to find.

 The list was easy to find; what I could not find was
 any indication of how/where bugs should be reported.

> > MTD-utils 1.4.5, when `mtdinfo -a' tries to print the
> > eraseblock regions of NOR-Flash, it open(2)s the nil
> > pointer (NULL).  [...]
>
> I don't have a test case that can reproduce the bug, as I don't have
> devices with "region info", but I can see the problem fairly clearly.
> It seems that the basic issue we need to solve is how to find the
> correct file devfs/udev path  [...]

 As an FYI, in our current embedded systems (plural),
 a static /dev is used (no udev, mdev, &tc).  Hence,
 udev (and I assume also, devfs) path may not work
 in such an environment?

> Also, is "region_info" a potential candidate for exporting via sysfs?
> That would make this support easier to include in libmtd.

 I don't know if it is exportable or not, but I concur
 this seems like a possible/plausible solution.

cheers!
	-blf-
--
Brian FOSTER