UBIFS incompatibilities due to min_io_size adaptions?

Holger Brunck holger.brunck at keymile.com
Wed Jan 26 09:20:23 EST 2011

Hi all,
we use UBI and UBIFS on NOR and NAND based systems and kernel 2.6.33. In the
last days we applied the latest UBI and MTD patches for the min I/O size.

Due to commit  a121f643993474548fe98144514c50dd4f3dbe76 UBI: use
mtd->writebufsize to set minimal I/O unit size
now the min I/O size is equal to the writebuffersize of the flash.

This caused incompatibilites in the UBIFS. We have an UBIFS on a board on a NOR
flash created in the past without the patches. Now with a newer SW and a newer
kernel which has the latest fixes we can't mount the old UBIFS anymore.

UBIFS error (pid 865): validate_sb: min. I/O unit mismatch: 8 in superblock, 64 real
UBIFS error (pid 865): validate_sb: bad superblock, error 1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on ubi0:cfg,
        missing codepage or other error

If we reformate the UBIFS everything is ok, but we got a problem with the older
SW image:
UBIFS error (pid 865): validate_sb: min. I/O unit mismatch: 64 in
superblock, 8 real
UBIFS error (pid 865): validate_sb: bad superblock, error 1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on ubi0:cfg,
        missing codepage or other error

Is there a way to solve this problem? I do not hope that the only solution is to
remove these patch.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Holger Brunck