A naive question.

Boaz Ben-David boaz.bd at wellsense-tech.com
Thu Jan 20 10:13:58 EST 2011

I was going over the MTD code in kernel 2.6.31 supplied by Freescale for
the iMX35PDK board, looking for the marking and checking of bad blocks
in a large page NAND device.
My question is:
As I saw in the driver, the bad blocks are marked with '0' in the first
two bytes of the oob area although the test to see if a block is bad is
performed only on the first byte in the oob area. Is there any reason to
mark 2 bytes in the oob and checking only the first?

I am asking this as I want to use YAFFS2 and I have one byte missing in
the oob in order to use oob tags instead of inband tags.

Thanks,

Boaz.