validate_sb: bad superblock, error 8 (Minimum UBI volume size for UBIFS image)

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 04:50:42 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 11:30 +0200, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 11:16 +0200, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> > Anyway, the only way for the user to affect the minimum FS size is the
> > --jrn-size option of mkfs.ubifs. How to calculate what will be the
> > minimum? Not sure, probably UBIFS_MIN_JNL_LEBS = 5 LEBs or something
> > close to this.
>
> Ah, this is wrong, you can set the log size with --log-lebs as well.
>
> So UBIFS journal = log + buds.
>
> --log-lebs set the log size
> --jrn-size sets the buds size.

And note, strictly speaking --jrn-size is about buds size. This is
confusing naming. But I think we wanted to hide complexities from the
user and make him think that the journal is some area of fixed size, and
--jrn-size defines it. But probably that was a bad idea, not sure.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)