Confusion over mkfs.ubifs versions

David Lambert dave at lambsys.com
Mon Jan 10 16:27:27 EST 2011

After upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 I noticed that the stock mkfs.ubifs
(version 1.3) failed to compute checksums correctly. I compiled my own
version from the git source of mtd-utils which announces itself as
version 1.4; this worked fine. Being curious I logged onto a machine
running Ubuntu 10.4 and checked the version of mkfs.ubifs and also found
it to be 1.3, but this version computes checksums correctly! Is there a
sub-version of mkfs.ubifs between 1.3 and 1.4 that is not shown by using
--version? Am I missing something critical here?

Regards,

Dave.