mount ubi volume fails: No such device

Lars Michael lh_post at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 03:49:06 EST 2011

--- On Fri, 25/2/11, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: mount ubi volume fails: No such device
> To: "Lars Michael" <lh_post at yahoo.com>
> Cc: linux-mtd at lists.infradead.org
> Date: Friday, 25 February, 2011, 11:45
> On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 02:57 -0800,
> Lars Michael wrote:
> > NAND read: device 0 offset 0x1, size 0xfffffff
> > Skipping bad block 0x00000000
> > Skipping bad block 0x00020000
> > Skipping bad block 0x00040000
> > <cut>
> > Skipping bad block 0x0ffa0000
> > Skipping bad block 0x0ffc0000
> > Skipping bad block 0x0ffe0000
> > NAND read from offset 10000000 failed -22
> >  0 bytes read: ERROR
> > -> nand
> >
> > I am really stuck here, and don't know how to proceed.
> Is it normal that
> > the flash can suddenly go totally bad?
>
> Most likely not. Probably this is due to a bug
> somewhere.

Let us assume this is a software problem and that the NAND device is
ok. Note: I did not cycle the power during a flash operation, and I
did not write (e.g. format or erase) the flash prior to it going bad.

Can the bbt somehow be corrupt, reporting all blocks bad even if they
are not?

Is the problem likely to be in the UBI layer or in the NAND driver
(I suspect the first) and how can I troubleshoot this?

Any help is appreciated,

- Lars