mount ubi volume fails: No such device

Lars Michael lh_post at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 05:57:38 EST 2011

--- On Mon, 14/2/11, Lars Michael <lh_post at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, booting Linux the NAND flash is now detected
> bad, so I do not have an mtd1! what is the best way to try
> to recover? I do not understand how the flash can suddenly
> become bad!
>
> NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xca (Micron
> NAND 256MiB 3,3V 16-bit)
> Bad block table not found for chip 0
> Bad block table not found for chip 0
> Scanning device for bad blocks
> Bad eraseblock 0 at 0x000000000000
> Bad eraseblock 1 at 0x000000020000
> Bad eraseblock 2 at 0x000000040000
> Bad eraseblock 3 at 0x000000060000
> Bad eraseblock 4 at 0x000000080000
> Bad eraseblock 5 at 0x0000000a0000
> Bad eraseblock 6 at 0x0000000c0000
> <cut>
> Bad eraseblock 2046 at 0x00000ffc0000
> Bad eraseblock 2047 at 0x00000ffe0000
> No space left to write bad block table
> fsl_nfc: NAND Flash not found !
> m25p80 spi1.1: at26df081a (1024 Kbytes)
> Creating 1 MTD partitions on "Atmel at26df081a SPI Flash
> chip":
> 0x000000000000-0x000000100000 : "at26df081a"
> DSPI: Coldfire master initialized
> ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver

I try to diagnose the flash from U-Boot. When I e.g. try to read from the
flash I get:

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x1, size 0xfffffff
Skipping bad block 0x00000000
Skipping bad block 0x00020000
Skipping bad block 0x00040000
<cut>
Skipping bad block 0x0ffa0000
Skipping bad block 0x0ffc0000
Skipping bad block 0x0ffe0000
NAND read from offset 10000000 failed -22
 0 bytes read: ERROR
-> nand

I am really stuck here, and don't know how to proceed. Is it normal that
the flash can suddenly go totally bad? At one moment in Linux the device
just had a few bad blocks and after a reboot, all went bad. I am really
worried about this issue!

Do I need to replace the device?

Any comments on this is appreciated.

Thanks and regards,