mount ubi volume fails: No such device

Lars Michael lars.michael at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 05:22:31 EST 2011

--- On Fri, 11/2/11, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: mount ubi volume fails: No such device
> To: "Lars Michael" <lars.michael at yahoo.com>
> Cc: linux-mtd at lists.infradead.org
> Date: Friday, 11 February, 2011, 15:35
> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 06:21 -0800,
> Lars Michael wrote:
> > So I got 167 patches from the ubifs 2.6.29 back port
> tree, some of
> > them
> > looking very relevant. I did manage to format, attach
> and mount once,
> > but it appears very unstable reporting more and more
> errors, like:
>
> You definitely have to take patches from the back-port
> tree.
>
> But, please, first make sure your subpage problem
> disappears by either
> fixing your driver or by asking UBI to not use sub-pages.

Kernel is rebuild with add. debug info for UBI. First I format the flash (without writing an image).

[root at M54418TWR /]# insmod ubifs.ko
[root at M54418TWR /]# ubiformat /dev/mtd1 -O 2048
ubiformat: mtd1 (NAND), size 267386880 bytes (255.0 MiB), 131072 eraseblocks of 131072 bytes (128.0 KiB), min. I/O size 2048 bytes
libscan: scanning eraseblock 2039 -- 100 % complete
ubiformat: 1937 eraseblocks have valid erase counter, mean value is 13
ubiformat: 99 corrupted erase counters
ubiformat: bad eraseblocks: 2036, 2037, 2038, 2039
ubiformat: formatting eraseblock 2039 -- 100 % complete

I notice the number of corrupted erase counters, is it too high? Sometimes I can format without getting these corrupted counters.

Running the mtd tests now shows two bad erase blocks and the subpage test returns a varying number of errors from 8 to ? I have attached the output from the mtd tests.

I hope I have included enough details, let me know if I can do other tests.

Thanks and regards,
- Lars