[RFC 0/5] fix data+OOB writes, add ioctl

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Aug 26 08:41:35 EDT 2011

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Brian Norris wrote:

>>>  Author: THOMSON, Adam (Adam) <adam.thomson at alcatel-lucent.com>
>>>  mtd: nand_base: always initialise oob_poi before writing OOB data
>>
>> That seems right.
>
> BTW, that patch seems a bit broken to me; I sent a fixup for it:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2011-August/037698.html

Thanks, I did see it but it failed to register. I've applied it to my tree
now.

> I think that I had a little bit of the wrong approach. I was doing
> some ill advised hacking to the existing write functions. I spun off
> my first two patches here as a different series (I believe I CC'd
> you); I used a different approach that should make as little impact on
> currently working hardware as possible:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2011-August/037695.html
>
> Thanks a lot for the testing. I think that my first approach still may
> easily have unintended consequences, though. I welcome any testing on my
> new patch series, and any more systems with broken "noecc" should be
> handled through that thread.

I applied the two patches in the above mentioned patch series to my tree
(after applying Peter's patch, Adam's, and your amendment to it).
Conclusion: nandwrite -o -n still works for me, i.e. the patch doesn't
break it.

One little caveat, the tree I'm using is 2.6.35 based. The patches don't
apply cleanly, but it just takes a little effort. So I think the results
are relevant, just wanted to mention it.

/Ricard