sector erase frequency

Ryan Raasch ryan.raasch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 09:29:30 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am trying to "measure" or get an idea how often a particular
writable partition (NOR flash, JFFS2) is being erased. This device needs to run
a while, so we need to have some idea how often this
partition's sectors are erased (16 MB partition, 128 KB size sector).

My first thought is to hack the mtd devices (cmd set 001)
 and have some type of counter for each sector.
The largest size of the partition for this would be 16 MB. But
i haven't quite figured out how to get a mtd partition pointer within
the mtdchar ioctl. There is only an offset.

Are there any ideas on how best to tackle this? This is purely for
testing/sanity issues, not to be used in releases.

Thanks,
Ryan