[BUG] mtdinfo -a: Tries to open NULL pointer for NOR with Eraseblock Regions

Brian Foster brian.foster at maxim-ic.com
Tue Aug 16 03:31:02 EDT 2011

On Monday 15 August 2011 06:11:27 Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 13:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 19:19, Brian Norris wrote:
> > > "Alternatively, --all only prints what it can get,
> > > and --help warns there _may_ be additional data not
> > > printed by --all (and to use ‘mtdinfo /dev/mtd<N>’)."
> >
> > that's really the only other option of the three.
> > 1: add region_info to sysfs
> > 2: add a warning --all that it could be incomplete
> > 3: have --all use the legacy lookup func to get /dev/mtd#
>
> How about: make a quick fix and release mtd-utils-1.4.6, then just kill
> the -a option.  [...]

 You should decide what ‘-a’ means:  “all information”
 or “all devices”.  If “all information”, then either a
 bunch of work needs to be done, or else ‘-a’ removed.

 But if “all devices”  — which happens to be both what
 I think it means and how I use it —  then it is very
 useful, at least in my situation where I'm bringing up
 a new SoC and board.  It's a nice summary of what I'm
 usually interested in; if it didn't exist, I'd “have”
 to script it.  And in either case, if and when I do
 need all the information about _a_ device, then I do
 ‘mtdinfo /dev/mtd<N>’.

cheers!
	-blf-
--
Brian FOSTER
Principal MTS, Software

Maxim Integrated Products (Microcontroller BU), formerly Innova Card
ZI Athélia IV - Le Forum, Bât. A
Quartier Roumagoua
13600 La Ciotat - France
Phone  : +33 (0)4 42 98 15 35