[BUG] mtdinfo -a: Tries to open NULL pointer for NOR with Eraseblock Regions

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 00:11:27 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 13:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 19:19, Brian Norris wrote:
> > "Alternatively, --all only prints what it can get,
> > and --help warns there _may_ be additional data not
> > printed by --all (and to use ‘mtdinfo /dev/mtd<N>’)."
>
> that's really the only other option of the three.
> 1: add region_info to sysfs
> 2: add a warning --all that it could be incomplete
> 3: have --all use the legacy lookup func to get /dev/mtd#

How about: make a quick fix and release mtd-utils-1.4.6, then just kill
the -a option. I'd vote for eliminating all the code which has to
guess/assume/find the device node names - I think they always have to be
passed by the user instead. We can do the elimination the usual way -
first add the warning, then kill.

This is also a good way to go because mtd stuff does not have enough
people for excellent maintenance, and keeping it simpler should be
helpful.

Thoughts?

--
Best Regards,