[BUG] mtdinfo -a: Tries to open NULL pointer for NOR with Eraseblock Regions

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:46:10 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Brian Foster
<brian.foster at maxim-ic.com> wrote:
>  The list was easy to find; what I could not find was
>  any indication of how/where bugs should be reported.

Hmm, it seems like maybe the closest info is hidden away at:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_how_send_bugreport
But much of this refers to UBIFS-specific stuff. Perhaps the site
should be updated.

>> It seems that the basic issue we need to solve is how to find the
>> correct file devfs/udev path  [...]
>
>  As an FYI, in our current embedded systems (plural),
>  a static /dev is used (no udev, mdev, &tc).  Hence,
>  udev (and I assume also, devfs) path may not work
>  in such an environment?

Now that I think about it, this doesn't seem like a very reliable
solution. Too much user-space variability.

>> Also, is "region_info" a potential candidate for exporting via sysfs?
>> That would make this support easier to include in libmtd.
>
>  I don't know if it is exportable or not, but I concur
>  this seems like a possible/plausible solution.

Even if we do this (which seems like a lot of info), it would only
apply to the newest kernels, where mtd-utils are *supposed* to be
backwards-compatible if possible, where they can fall back to old
methods if needed...

Anyway, since I don't have these types of flash readily available, I
don't even use these options :) And apparently, one of the biggest
contributors for mtd-utils, Mike Frysinger, doesn't use region_info
either...

Since there's been no response from anyone else for a while, I'm
sending a workaround patch for now that will kill the error and
disable region_info in `mtdinfo -a'.

Brian