[RFC] mtd: nand: Fix bad block identification issue

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:45:45 EDT 2011

Hi,

On 4/27/2011 8:45 AM, Grazvydas Ignotas wrote:
> Brian,
>
> did you really intend to remove badblockbits? Maybe it should go back
> to nand_base.c?

No, I had no intention of the sorts! It surely should not have been
removed in the first place. I will "ack" a patch to revert it, or next
time I'm at my work machine I'll write one myself.

As a defense for myself...I think I was relatively new to git + kernel
hacking at the time I sent this patch. Sorry for the messup.

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Saxena, Parth <parth.saxena at ti.com> wrote:
>> Commit e0b58d0 ("mtd: nand: add ->badblockbits for minimum number
>> of set bits in bad block byte") by Maxim Levitsky added
>> badblockbits to nand_chip to specify minimum number of set bits
>> in bad block byte. The patch initialized badblockbits to 8 in
>> nand_base.c, but later the initialization line got removed by commit
>> c7b28e2("mtd: nand: refactor BB marker detection"). After this all
>> NAND drivers with NAND_SKIP_BBTSCAN are forced to initialize it to 8.
>> Otherwise bad block identification will fail.

Brian