UBI memory usage on large page nand

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 05:16:14 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 17:03 +0800, Nicholas wrote:
> Dear Artem,
>
> Thanks for the advices. I'll try start for UBI first.
>
> Reducing peb_buf would mean i need to modify the ubi IO for read/write.
> As i know, ubi did an erase for a whole block before start writing,
>
> Please correct me if i've written in a wrong way.

Yes, when you investigate the code, you'll even find that if extra self
checks are enabled, UBI will verify that the area it writes to contains
only 0xFFs - it will read the area, compare with 0xFFs, and if all bytes
are 0xFFs it will proceed, otherwise it will shout loudly. See:

ubi_io_write() - all writes go through this function, and
ubi_dbg_check_all_ff - does the verification I talked about, but only in
debugging mode, because it is too costly to do it in production mode.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)