veto CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 06:09:06 EDT 2011

Hi,

we have a very small mtdpart driver which provides very basic mtd
partitioning services. And this driver may be compiled out. This
probably mattered many years ago, when saving ~7KiB (on arm arch)
mattered a lot.

But this creates mess:

[dedekind at eru l2-mtd-2.6]$ grep -r CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS drivers/mtd/* |
wc -l
132

We have really a lot of these "#ifdef CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS" statements,
nearly in every driver. And new drivers have this.

I think it is time to declare than saving ~7KiB is not worth the mess
anymore and veto CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS - no new "#ifdef
CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS" should be accepted.

Someone should just make mtdpart.c to be an integral part of the MTD
core and remove all those #ifdefs.

Hopefully we'll force someone to clean this up.

If no one strongly disagrees, let's veto CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS usage.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)