[RFC] Online firmware upgrade in non-embedded systems

Ben Hutchings bhutchings at solarflare.com
Wed Sep 29 09:10:50 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 14:45 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 29.09.2010 14:35, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 00:41 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> >
> >> [adding flashrom at flashrom.org to CC, senders will be whitelisted after a
> >> short delay]

> >> Given that the flashrom utility <http://www.flashrom.org/> (GPLv2)
> >> supports flashing many network cards, SATA/PATA controllers, graphics
> >> cards, and of course the main system firmware/BIOS/EFI, and it does that
> >> from userspace without any kernel support,
> >>
> > [...]
> >
> > I'm looking for a clean solution, not a hack.
> >

> What would qualify as a clean solution?

One where hardware access is mediated by the kernel, and doesn't involve
unloading or potentially conflicting with the driver for that hardware.

> And is cross-platform code one of your goals?

Not at this level.  At the application level, yes, but we already have a
working application so I'm not interested in using flashrom for that.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.