latest MTD-utils

Bruno Cornec bruno at victoria.frmug.org
Wed Sep 22 18:47:38 EDT 2010

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 05:27:32PM +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> >  Artem> Peter, why would not you make a make tarball target, BTW? Sorry,
> >  Artem> may be you explained, but I forgot.
> >
> > You mean why don't I just checkout from git and make a tarball myself?
> >
> > Tarballs are pretty much the standard for source releases, and
> > source-based metadistributions (like Buildroot that I maintain) normally
> > are optimized for tarballs rather than semi-random git snapshots
> > (E.G. mirroring, automatic handling, ..).
> >
> > And then there's the issue about people checking the ftp and not
> > noticing that there's actually a new stable release out instead of the
> > old 1.3.1
>
> It is not too difficult to provide tarball, but this is something
> developers do not care about, they develop. Packagers do care, and it is
> saner when packagers do this, not developers.

Well, I'd find normal that a team producing a SW, agrees to produce a
given version and materialize its production by the delivery of a tar
ball correctly tagged. At least, that's what I do for my projects.

Also I understand quite well SVN, but with git, I'm always under the
impression that there is not really a reference repo from which people
can build a reference SW. Probably my lack of practice of git.

> I was in LinuxCon Brazil this year, and there was this presentation:
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/2010/linuxcon-brazil/cornec
> where bruno said exactly the same. And he was promoting his project
> which claims to be able to pick sources from anywhere - git, svn,
> whatever.

Yes it is ;-) My goal is to allow people wanting to follow the
development to have a way to install/uninstall the project very easily
without perturbation to their normal packaging system.

To that purpose, the tool creates from a VCS such as git/svn/... a tar
ball for a given version/branch/context/ and build appropriate packages
from that point. It needs some conf files in order to support that.
(Examples of projects using project-builder.org at
http://trac.project-builder.org/browser/projects and doc at
http://trac.project-builder.org/browser/devel/pb-doc/LabProject-Builder.org.pdf
More details upon request.

> I'm not competent in the packaging area, though. Just a logical thought.
> Also CCed Bruno, may he'll be interested to know his presentation was
> listened to :-) Bruno, the beginning of the conversation is here:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2010-September/032164.html

Thanks ! And really happy to see that some words of what I said are
indeed useful ;-)

Best regards,
Bruno.
--