[RFC] [MTD-utils] mkfs.jffs2: JFFS2 and minimal erase block size

Yegor Yefremov yegorslists at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 1 11:36:09 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm using a NOR flash SST39VF3201. According to its data sheet the
erase size is 2 Kword. That corresponds to -e 0x1000 value. But the
mkfs.jffs2 utility has a limit of 0x2000 bytes. If I change this limit
to 0x1000 and create an image, I can successfully mount and use it,
with 8KiB value the jffs2 driver fails to work with such an image. I
have found some similar complains like this one
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2009-February/024523.html,
but no one seems to have asked this question on the list.

Is there any reason for limiting erase block to 0x2000?

I've created a patch to decrease this value to 0x1000, but perhaps
there are any other way?

Regards,
Yegor