Preventing FS full

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 10:52:10 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 16:24 +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Is there any way to temporarily lower the FS full limit(preferably on a process basis)
> on JFFS2?
>
> I want to safeguard the OS from FS full due to some process filling up the disk.

Mainstream FSes like ext3 can limit this on per-user or per-group basis,
and we had a similar thing for JFFS2, do not remember if we upstreamed
this, though. But I did send patches to the mtd ML.

FS has not idea about processes - the information about them is not
stored on the media, and it is very dynamic and unpredictable. I think
it is disaster to try to limit anything in the FS on per-process basis,
just makes little sense for me.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)