JFFS2 Summary warnings on large block NAND device

Andrew McKay amckay at iders.ca
Fri Oct 8 14:04:17 EDT 2010

Hello,

I've been using JFFS2 for a little while now, and I'm just going through
the warning and error messages that JFFS2 sometimes reports to see if we
have any issues with our system.  We've moved to a new NAND part from
Micron that has 4K pages and 512K erase blocks and I'm getting some new
warnings from JFFS2 that I've never seen before and am wondering if I
have an issue.

Here's the three messages I'm worried about:
JFFS2 warning: (1) jffs2_sum_scan_sumnode: Summary node crc error,
skipping summary information.
JFFS2 warning: (633) jffs2_sum_write_data: Summary too big (-32 data,
-2794 pad) in eraseblock at 27b80000
JFFS2 warning: (739) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary,
padsize = -1324

Presumably, these messages are all related and are because summary
information is limited to 64K so that kmalloc can be used for
allocation.  With the larger sized erase block I assume that the summary
information is often exceeding 64K.  Should I be worried about these
messages?  As far as I understand summary information is only used so
that JFFS2 can mount quickly.  Without it mount times will be a bit
longer as it has to scan each page in the device instead of the summary
page at the end of the erase block.

Is there a fix for this issue? Admittedly my kernel is a little old.
2.6.30.9, so I may not have the most up to date JFFS2 code.  Though I
did some searching online and I haven't found mention of solution to
this problem, or if it is something that I should be concerned about.

Thanks for your time

--
Andrew McKay
IDERS Inc.