Flashing UBIFS over fastboot

Leo Barnes barnes.leo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 03:46:32 EST 2010

Hello again,

New problem:

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you can hack ubinize and teach it to add OOB bytes.

I have now managed to transform a UBIFS image so that it is flashable
by fastboot. The system then boots once without any trouble (at least
any immediate trouble), but when I reboot, it refuses to start. I have
narrowed the problem down to the fact that fastboot does not strip
trailing 0xFF pages from the blocks and instead writes them as usual.
As explained in the FAQ this has some nasty consequences. I have no
way (currently at least) of modifying how fastboot works on the
device. Is it somehow possible to fill these pages with dummy data and
tell UBI/UBIFS that it is ok to discard this data when the block is
erased sometime in the future? Or is there any other way of doing it?
If UBI/UBIFS clones/remaps a block, does it strip empty trailing
pages?

Best regards,
//Leo