[Openpxa-users] PXA310: double bit errors on NAND

pieterg pieterg at gmx.com
Tue Nov 9 04:58:03 EST 2010

On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:15:40 Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> I've tried nandwrite with or without the --pad option. Is that the
> padding you are referring to? Or is it the --blockalign option? How
> exactly did you flash your rootfs?

nandwrite -p pads to pagesize, which is ok.
But I was using a --pad=0x800 (=pagesize) option for mkfs.jffs2 instead,
which somehow resulted in eraseblock padding.

> Thanks for the info. Note that I've had *zero* trouble with ubifs when
> it's flashed with ubiformat and ubiupdatevol. I did some more googling
> and found some other threads about the "ubiformat + ubiupdatevol works
> but not direct UBI image flashing" issue. I'll take a closer look.

Interesting. In that case I might give that a try as well, as jffs2 is still
far from perfect, even with correct pagesize padding.

I've added a single bit debug message in the nand driver by the way,
which shows a lot of lucky escapes, before the first double bit error
eventually occurs. Which seems inevitable, as the driver takes
no action (such as refreshing a page) when single bit errors occur.

Rgds, Pieter