UBIL design doc

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 04:35:41 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 13:33 +0530, Brijesh Singh wrote:
> [...]
> >> common case - nothing more.
> >
> > Yeah, if we preserve the headers we can always fall-back to scanning
> > should something be broken.

> >> I don't think it's a good idea to kill the EC/VID headers. It not only
> >> violates the backwards compability it also fundamentally weakens UBIs
> >> reliability for no good reason and I doubt that the performance win is
> >> big enough to make it worth.
> >>
> >> The performance gain is at attach time by getting rid of the flash
> >> scan, but not by getting rid of writing the EC/VID headers.
> >
> > Well, there are some space savings as well.
> >

> >> The logging is a speed up / optimization for the common case, but it
> >> needs to preserve full reconstruction via scanning all eraseblocks and
> >> checking the EC/VID headers. That also allows retrofitting on existing
> >> devices.
> >>
> >> I'd rather see the super block / log volume as a checkpointing
> >> mechanism which provides a snapshot of the EC/VID headers at a given
> >> point and a list of eraseblocks which need to be scanned at attach
> >> time.
> >>

> >> That has two main advantages:
> >>  1) It limits the number of log writes
> >>  2) It allows full backward and forward compatibility
> >
> > I think this is what they do, but they for some reasons removed the
> > headers. If they add them back, it should look like you described.
> >
> > We should preserve the headers. It is always easy to disable them later,
> > if someone needs this for optimization purposes. E.g., we can add an
> > ubi_compat=0 option or something like that.
> >
> >> Looking at
> >> http://git.infradead.org/users/brijesh/ubil_results/blob/HEAD:/nand_mount_time.pdf
> >> I still see a linear - though less steep - attach time. For the 1GB
> >> flash size it's still 0.8s which is nice progress vs. the 2s for the
> >> non logging case. But that's surprising as one would expect that
> >> logging would provide a more aggressive and non linear gain.
> >>
> >> Just doing the simple math:
> >>
> >> 1GB FLASH with erase block size 128K and page size 2k, that
> >> translates to 8192 erase blocks
> >>
> >> So UBI scans 8192 erase block EC/VID headers in 2 seconds. That
> >> equals to 8192 FLASH pages.
> >>
> >> UBIL needs 0.8 seconds. That means that UBIL still scans ~3236 FLASH
> >> pages (or spends the equivivalent time) to achieve the same result.
> >>
> >> That looks wrong. Care to explain ?
> >
> > I suspect these are implementation issues. I did not look at the code,
> > but I suspect they read whole CMT block and populate the all EB
> > associations at scan time. However, they could populate them lazily,
> > which would optimize things.
> I am trying to summarize what I have understood.
> I will send the patches if this is correct.
> 1) Commit will have ec and vid headers just as any other UBI block.
> The compat flag helps in backword compatibility,
> 2)chained sb will locate commit. It will be part of internal volume as well.
> 3) Commit will be called on unmount.
> 4) Any unclean un-mount will lead to flash scanning just as UBI.

No! Why you have the log then? Unclean reboots are handled by the log.

Scanning happens only when you have _corrupted_ SB, or corrupted cmt, or
log. Then you fall-back to scanning.

> Any thing goes bad, normal scanning becomes recovery.
> 5) Not sure if log is required in first place. But it could be an option.
> Is that correct?

No, at least I did not suggest you to get rid of the log. It is needed
to handle unclean reboots.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)