RFC: direct MTD support for SquashFS

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Thu Mar 18 12:38:43 EDT 2010

Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at sunsite.dk> writes:

>  Ferenc> In embedded systems, SquashFS over MTD would be a considerable
>  Ferenc> win, as that would permit configuring without CONFIG_BLOCK.
>  Ferenc> Please find attached a naive patch against 2.6.33 for this.  It
>  Ferenc> does not handle bad MTD blocks, that could be handled by gluebi
>  Ferenc> (once you're willing to take the UBI overhead), or by a custom
>  Ferenc> solution later.
>
>  Ferenc> For now, 2.6.34 gained pluggable decompressors, so this patch
>  Ferenc> does not apply anymore, though the main idea holds.  My
>  Ferenc> questions: is the community interested in integrating something
>  Ferenc> like this, should this patch transformed into something
>  Ferenc> acceptable, or am I a total lunatic?  I don't know a thing
>  Ferenc> about filesystem development, but willing to learn and
>  Ferenc> refactor.  Comments welcome.
>
> Nice, I have been thinking about that as well. What kind of size savings
> are you getting with this?

I could only compare apples to oranges before porting the patch to the
LZMA variant.  So I refrain from that for a couple of days yet.  But
meanwhile I started adding a pluggable backend framework to SquashFS,
and would much appreciate some comments about the applicability of this
idea.  The patch is (intended to be) a no-op, applies on top of current
git (a3d3203e4bb40f253b1541e310dc0f9305be7c84).
--
Thanks,
Feri.