CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG vs generic DEBUG support in kernel.h

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Thu Mar 18 12:20:31 EDT 2010

Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 13:55 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> include/linux/mtd/mtd.h contains the following snippet:
>>
>> #ifdef CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG
>> #define DEBUG(n, args...)                               \
>>         do {                                            \
>>                 if (n <= CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE)      \
>>                         printk(KERN_INFO args);         \
>>         } while(0)
>>
>> which conflicts with the generic debugging support in
>> include/linux/kernel.h:
>>
>> #ifdef DEBUG
>> #define pr_devel(fmt, ...) \
>>         printk(KERN_DEBUG pr_fmt(fmt), ##__VA_ARGS__)
>>
>> (that is, gcc emits redefinition warnings on modules which
>> #define DEBUG on their own and also include mtd.h)
>> Unfortunately, the DEBUG macro is used rather heavily under
>> drivers/mtd.  Should we resolve this somehow or is it better
>> to just live with it?
>
> IMO, this MTD debug stuff is not very useful and could be just killed.

Well, I found the mtdcore debugging somewhat useful.  But anyway,
killing it would be about as much work as renaming the macro, or using
something standard as dev_(v)dbg or pr_debug/devel (btw. what's the
difference?) instead.  I'm willing to do some mechanical work on either
one if you wish.
--
Regards,
Feri.