CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG vs generic DEBUG support in kernel.h

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Mar 16 08:55:56 EDT 2010

Hi,

include/linux/mtd/mtd.h contains the following snippet:

#ifdef CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG
#define DEBUG(n, args...)                               \
        do {                                            \
                if (n <= CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE)      \
                        printk(KERN_INFO args);         \
        } while(0)

which conflicts with the generic debugging support in
include/linux/kernel.h:

#ifdef DEBUG
#define pr_devel(fmt, ...) \
        printk(KERN_DEBUG pr_fmt(fmt), ##__VA_ARGS__)

(that is, gcc emits redefinition warnings on modules which
#define DEBUG on their own and also include mtd.h)
Unfortunately, the DEBUG macro is used rather heavily under
drivers/mtd.  Should we resolve this somehow or is it better
to just live with it?

(Please keep me on Cc, I'm not subscribed.)
--
Thanks,
Feri.