[Patch] fix MTD CFI/LPDDR flash driver huge latency bug

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Mon Mar 15 10:24:21 EDT 2010

Stefani Seibold wrote:
> Am Montag, den 15.03.2010, 03:03 +0000 schrieb Jamie Lokier:
> > Stefani Seibold wrote:

> > > The problem is the memcpy operation which is very slow. A cond_resched
> > > wouldn't help, since the cpu bus is blocked during the transfer of the
> > > word.
> >
> > I mean split the memcpy into multiple smaller memcpys, so that the
> > total time in each memcpy is limited to something reasonable.
> >
> > The check in cond_resched() is fast, especially once cached.  memcpy
> > speed depends a lot on the attached flash and how everything's
> > configured, varying from 2.5MB/s up to hundreds of MB/s.  So how about
> > doing cond_resched() every 256 bytes?
> >
> > -- Jamie
>
> I thoght about this aporoach and i don't like this idea. Why not using a
> preemptible kernel?

Because it introduces too many risks to enable CONFIG_PREEMPT in a
stable rolled out device which isn't using it already.  Especially on
devices where it's not well tested by other people, and with drivers
that nobody ever used with CONFIG_PREEMPT before.

And because CONFIG_PREEMPT isn't always better.  (Why do you think
it's a config option?)

As a bug fix for observed high scheduling latency when a flash I/O is
occurring, splitting the memcpys is a good choice.  I will be trying
it on my kernels, even if it doesn't get mainlined.  Thanks for the idea ;-)

-- Jamie