[Patch] fix MTD CFI/LPDDR flash driver huge latency bug

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Fri Mar 12 18:38:20 EST 2010

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 17:48:57 +0100
> Stefani Seibold <stefani at seibold.net> wrote:
>
> > This patch fix a huge latency problem in the MTD CFI and LPDDR flash
> > drivers.
> >
> > The use of a memcpy() during a spinlock operation will cause very long
> > thread context switch delays if the flash chip bandwidth is low and the
> > data to be copied large, because a spinlock will disable preemption.
> >
> > For example: A flash with 6,5 MB/s bandwidth will cause under ubifs,
> > which request sometimes 128 KB (the flash erase size), a preemption
> > delay of 20 milliseconds. High priority threads will not be served
> > during this time, regardless whether this threads access the flash or
> > not. This behavior breaks real time.

I agree that's a problem, and it's not just real time that's affected.

I've just realised I have a video player with ~1.5 MB/s bandwidth
64kb/block flash attached, and this might be the reason JFFS2 activity
makes video play less smooth on it.  44ms is even worse.

> > The patch change all the use of spin_lock operations for xxxx->mutex
> > into mutex operations, which is exact what the name says and means.

It would be even better if it also split the critical sections into
smaller ones with cond_resched() between, so that non-preemptible
kernels benefit too.

> > There is no performance regression since the mutex is normally not
> > acquired.
>
> hm, big scary patch.  Are you sure this mutex is never taken from
> atomic or irq contexts?  Is it ully tested with all relevant debug options
> and lockdep enabled?

Including from mtdoops?

-- Jamie