JFFS2 error messages

Arno Steffen arno.steffen at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 8 11:23:39 EST 2010

2010/3/8 Vimal Singh <vimal.newwork at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Arno Steffen
> <arno.steffen at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/1/29 Ricard Wanderlof <ricard.wanderlof at axis.com>:
>>> The 'Empty flash at ... ends at ...' usually indicates some sort of mismatch
>>> between the sector or block size of the flash and the erasesize used when
>>> making the image. It could be harmless, or could indicate a more serious
>>> configuration problem.
>>> /Ricard
>>> --
>>> Ricard Wolf Wanderlöf                           ricardw(at)axis.com
>>> Axis Communications AB, Lund, Sweden            www.axis.com
>>> Phone +46 46 272 2016                           Fax +46 46 13 61 30
>>
>> I also suffered from this empty flash at ... message.
>> So I checked with cat /proc/mtd the erasesize (which is 20000) and how
>> I generated the jffs2 (with mkfs.jffs2 -lqnp -e 128).
>>
>> Imho this both match (128k). But somewhat has to cause this message.
>> What else could I do to prevent such messages and how to get rid of it?
>>

> May be you should try providing "-s,--pagesize=SIZE" option too in
> 'mkfs.jffs2' command.
> If you do not give this, default (4K) will be consider. Which I do not
> think is ture in your case.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Vimal Singh

Thanks, but I am a bit puzzled. In datasheet of flash MT29F1G there
are several sizes:
"– Page size
• x8: 2112 bytes (2048 + 64 bytes)
• x16: 1056 words (1024 + 32 words)"
"Each page consists of 2112 bytes. The pages are further divided into
a 2048-byte data
storage region with a separate 64-byte area. The 64-byte area s
typically used for error
management functions."

As the pagesize is to be set in kByte I guess 2kByte would be the
right setting? The extra bytes for error management is to be omitted?

Regards
Arno