ONFI 4GB and beyond NAND support

Blair Barnett bbarnett at nethra.us.com
Thu Mar 4 22:34:25 EST 2010

I have two questions for the MTD gang, but couldn't find the answer in
the archives, nor elsewhere on the web.

1. What's the plan, if any, for the MTD NAND layer to support the ONFI
standard?
2. What's the plan, if any, for the MTD NAND layer to support 4 GB NANDs
(and greater)?

The two questions could be linked, as we're looking at Micron 4 GB, 8 GB
and 16 GB MLC parts that support the ONFI standard, that we'd like to
use on a board that my company is building.

I've hacked support for the 4 GB part by having the MTD layer recognize
it as 4 GB - 1 erase block, which gets it inside the uint32_t limit.
That hack won't really work for 8 GB and beyond. I'd certainly be
willing to help with the design review and coding if I had a clue what
folks were thinking.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Blair Barnett