Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing ?

Shivdas Gujare shivdas.tech at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 21:01:08 EST 2010

Hi All,

I am very new to mtd & yaffs and working on boottime optimization and
found that yaffs checkpointing helps to mount
yaffs2 very quickly. I tried it, and was able to save almost 4sec for
128MB partitioned nand.

Since everything looks very good If I use yaffs checkpointing feature
but have a doubt, are there any disadvantage of using check-pointing
by default in final product?

I understood that, check-pointing only disables boot time nand block
scanning & marking it bad if found,
and takes "system snapshot" while using "umount /dev/mtdblockN" which
it use in next boot.
So, If I decided to use "checkpointing" with "umount" while powering
off the device in final product,
are there going to be any problems I will face avoiding block scanning?

Thanks lot for any help.

Thanks and Regards,
Shivdas Gujare