JFFS2 error messages

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Jan 29 05:51:06 EST 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Marco Donadio wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm designing a board based on MPC5121 PowerPc.
>
> I have some problems about linux start-up:
>
> an error messages appears and sometimes Linux starts and sometimes not (I attached capture of errors).

The 'Empty flash at ... ends at ...' usually indicates some sort of
mismatch between the sector or block size of the flash and the erasesize
used when making the image. It could be harmless, or could indicate a more
serious configuration problem.

> I read FAQ about JFFS2 error messages and I have a question:
>
> There is some trick to distinguish between node corruptions cause by
> unclean reboots and by real media corruptions?

Experience perhaps? I think the thing is that JFFS2 doesn't know how
serious it is, all it can do is log the errors it finds.

The 'Truncating ...' messages in your dump look severe to me. Actually,
I've never seen those warnings produced (but then again my experience
across various Linux platforms is limited).

/Ricard